Friday, September 4, 2009

Dear Future Child,

Today, I do not miss you one bit.

Don’t get me wrong — I love you more than I love myself. You’re the light of my future life. But today, my dear, I simply don’t miss you. Today, I’m basking in bachelorettehood. Smothering myself with sweet solitude. Loving life alone.

Today, I fully appreciate the benefits of coming home to a cat instead of you, your siblings, your dad and a to-do list four times as big as the one I barely manage now. I feel so bad saying that, but it’s true! I’m just not ready for you yet. I’m not ready for your father either. I’m not ready to clean up after people, while maintaining a loving heart. AGH! I’m so terrible, I know.

Tonight, I’m going to eat chips and salsa for dinner. Then around eleven, if I'm hungry again, I'm going to make some mac and cheese. From a box. Not the most nutritious meals, but I’m not feeding four, so it’s all good.

Please don’t misunderstand what I’m saying. I’m not saying I don’t want you. Of course I want you. I dream about you often. A little too often, I’m sure. I’m just saying that today is a great day to be childless!

In closing, I’d like to say that mothers are beautiful people. I hope to one day be as beautiful for you.

Until then,

Me

No comments: